Wednesday, May 31, 2023

Doing Herbal Things Today

I got a plantain salve started today from the leaves I harvested and dried a few weeks ago.  My dining room table is getting full of  foraged and grown herbs. I have some jars on order so hopefully I can get our little apothecary organized.

For the salve I put a heaping 1/2 cup chopped plantain and 1 small comfrey leaf in a jelly jar. I topped it of with olive oil and placed in my crockpot on the keep warm mode. I left it there for most of the day. This evening I took it out gave it a good shake. I will leave it for a few more days or until I get to it! Without the heat it would have taken the oil a lot longer to steep.

After morning chores, I grabbed my basket and foraged elder flowers. 

We have two quite large trees here close to the chicken pen. One I planted, one I did not (thank you birds!)  It was a nice little harvest. I'll pick a few more in a day or two. I got the stems trimmed and they are now drying in my pantry for use in teas.
I finished up the day planting some more flowers Sis had started in the greenhouse. We are trying to get it cleared out before this next heat wave hits. 
I hope your day was well. Blessings from the homestead.

No comments:

Post a Comment