Saturday, May 6, 2023

Foraging Field Daisies

 I am always wanting to learn and become more self sufficient. When my youngest was little I took several courses in herbalism but alas raising kids and having a working homestead it got pushed to the back burner. These days I see a need to return to some of the old ways. I have started a medicinal herb garden again (more on that another day) and am learning to forage. 


Today with basket in hand I wandered through one of our empty pastures to see what may be ready to harvest. The field daisies also known as poor man's arnica were abundant. I harvested quite a bit which I will dry and make a salve with very soon. There was also beautiful  narrow leaf plantain that had not been ravaged by the mower so that was harvested as well. Tomorrow I will gather some more and as soon as they are dry I will make some salves and put some in jars for later recipes. 

I will post the process along with the recipes so stay tuned! Happy homesteading.

No comments:

Post a Comment