Tuesday, May 2, 2023

Sourdough Discard Crackers

 Making sourdough discard crackers has become an almost daily ritual. If I am not making bread and have some to dispose of it becomes crackers. They are so easy and delicious.  We do not purchase crackers at the store anymore!

My sourdough lives in a big jar on the counter and I feed it every day.  Depending on what I am making I almost always have an extra cup to do something with, I have done poptarts and muffins but crackers are by far our favorite. Today was cheese crackers. 

I start with one cup of discard and 3 tablespoons of melted butter. Mix that well.
Add a handful of cheese. Any kind will work. Today I happened to have a preshredded Mexican blend. I have used parmesan and I am actually planning to use some smoked gouda next time that needs to be used up. Stir it up.
Spread the batter on a parchment lined pan. I spread it as thinly as I can without having holes in it. Now for the secret ingredient! Garlic salt- lightly sprinkle the top with it. Place in a 350* oven. set timer for 10 minutes.
Score with a pizza cutter. Reset timer for 30 minutes. watch closely, they make take a few more minutes. Sometimes I turn my oven off and leave crackers in there with the door cracked until they are nice and crisp. 
Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment