Thursday, May 4, 2023

Busy day on the homestead.  After morning chores were done, I headed to the kitchen. We have an overload of eggs so I boiled a few and mixed up a batch of the family's favorite egg salad for lunches the next couple of days. 


 Of course had to make crackers and I needed to grind some cornmeal. 

The deer have destroyed part of the new second orchard so I put tree guards around the ones left and hung Irish Spring soap on them. I have heard this deters them. We shall see.  I know the smell of it makes me want to run away!

Next on the list was to bale the hay that the boys cut on Monday. These were 2 small fields of a test hay. It is a mixture of orchard grass and crimson clover. They baled one field in round bales and the other in square. 40 small bales and 6 round were put in the barn along with the other 200 square that they baled a couple of weeks ago. It is some beautiful hay. 




I am more of the errand girl on these days since hubby has streamlined our hay mowing. I did help pick up the square bales and check the moisture with the hay probe. It was perfect.

Once up I was off to the garden for some evening weeding until supper time. A good productive day on the homestead.






No comments:

Post a Comment