Wednesday, May 10, 2023

Water Glassing Eggs

 

Water glassing eggs is an old way of preserving eggs that dates back to the late 1800's.  In the past I have frozen eggs for winter cooking and baking but I thought I'd give this method a try. It is super easy and a lot less messy than freezing them.

For the lime water I mixed 1 ounce of lime to 1 quart of water. I used a clean gallon jar and mixed up 2 quarts. Now all I will do is carefully put the clean eggs in the jar daily until it is full. No dirty or washed eggs please! I am not sure how many will fit in a gallon but I think I will only do 2 gallons. The eggs can keep many months even up to a year or more when preserved this way. In a couple of months I will give them a taste test and bake something with them. 
I'll keep you posted~

No comments:

Post a Comment