Monday, May 29, 2023

Preserving Kale

 

Today I preserved all the kale I harvested Saturday. After washing really well, I stemmed and tore into bite size pieces. I keep two gallon bags for fresh eating over the next week or so. I flash froze a large pan by layering the kale on wax paper and popping in the freezer for a few hours. That was another gallon.

I put the rest in the dehydrator and let it run for a few hours until nice and crispy. 
Nine trays yielded 8 cups dry. I put that in the blender and made kale powder. I use this to pack in some extra nutrients in soups, stews, meatloaf, ect.
The sun finally appeared late this afternoon and I let the lambs out in the pasture to enjoy some forage and frolic time. That did not last long. Sis called and said a coyote was in her pasture circling her chicken coop. They headed out with the shotgun but he took off and was headed this way. I hurried to the barn and locked the babies back up. I took our livestock guardian dog out for a fence patrol in that pasture. It is not the one she usually stays in. She was on high alert running and sniffing. The wildlife has become quite the problem over the last couple of years. It tends to cause a lot of sleepless nights especially in the Spring and early Summer months. That's just life on the homestead!
I hope everyone had a blessed Memorial Day and I thank those that gave all.


No comments:

Post a Comment