Saturday, May 27, 2023

Ready For Rain

Hubby was out in the gardens way before I was. He is not a coffee drinker and tends to move a little quicker in the mornings than I do! He was doing tractor work while I cooked breakfast. After breakfast we got busy. He had gotten the row ready for the sweet potatoes so we popped them in the ground. We have an old hand held tobacco planter we use. It's the coolest tool ever and makes quick work of planting the slips. We planted 117. He cultivated the corn and beans with the old Farmall tractor. I planted some sunflowers. The big garden is looking pretty good considering we've had no rain.


On to the small garden! He cultivated between the rows I weeded what I could being that it is so dry. We managed to unearth a few more onions! I still have a small section of those along with a few strawberries to get tidied up. The early green beans are blooming in this garden. We were finishing up around noon when it did indeed start to rain. 
While he was putting equipment away I headed to the house to fix some lunch. I was greeted by mama guinea and her brood of babies. She has been setting on her eggs in one of my clumps of daylilies. They moved way too fast to count! Daddy guinea was helping out best he could. :-)
Next on the list was to get the tunnels cleaned up and harvest what is left. I want them ready to go when Fall planting time rolls around. I harvested the last of the kale, a few tiny carrots, beets and a few small squash. I moved the avocado tree outside. I still have a large pot of celery that is not quite ready to harvest to put somewhere outside. I took one load to the compost pile before I got distracted by some beautiful petunias that needed to be planted! I am quite sure there is not a weeding fairy and it will still be there when I get back to it!

A damp drizzly day on the homestead. Heavier rains are supposed to move in overnight and tomorrow is going to be a wash out. Not a bad thing I need to do something with all that kale!




No comments:

Post a Comment