Wednesday, May 24, 2023

Baling Hay, More lambs!

 The last of our spring hay was baled today. My job is to ferry the guys back and forth to the fields as they move equipment in and out. I also do a moisture check on the first few bales that roll out. Thankfully it's on on call kinda job and I can get things done in between trips. 

After getting Hubby to the field this morning I did morning chores. I also mixed up a loaf of crusty Dutch oven bread and made some lunch for Mom and Dad.

They started baling around 1:30, so back to the field to check the hay. A little glitch on the first bale wrapping so it took a bit to get rolling. After that we were good to go. Moisture check was good and back home I went to get some feeding done until they moved to the next field.
While filling water buckets, this little cutie ran up to greet me. He is a suffolk cross from our meat flock. Since it is later in the season I just figured some of the girls didn't breed. At this point I should probably know better. Haha! I also noticed one of the Icelandic crosses was in labor, She was a younger girl but all seemed to be moving along well. Back to the hay field I went.
The boys finished up and were starting to haul the hay in. 70 round bales! What a blessing.

 Since there was nothing else I could help with, I headed home to do another barn check, put up the some of the chickens and start supper. The other lamb had arrived and the young mom had walked off and left him. I scooped him up and wrapped him in a blanket. I massaged him generously and got him on a heating pad. He was very cold. I got some colostrum in him and he had a sucking reflex so I was holding out hope. We will see what the night brings.
Just another day on the homestead..


No comments:

Post a Comment