Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Rainy Day Preserving

Oh and the rain has arrived. It poured all night long and has not let up today. Looks like afternoon chores will soggy for sure.
Today I needed to can some beef bone broth that I cooked in my roaster for several days. I had strained it well and put in the fridge to let the fat separate. When I started skimming I knew I could not toss all that glorious fat. It was so rich and lovely looking. Once the broth was in the canner I did a lazy version of rendering the beef fat or tallow. I melted it and let all the particles fall to the bottom and strained it as I ladled hot fat into hot jars and lids. I got 3 quarts of broth and 4, 1/2 pint jars of tallow.
I plan to have some country fried cube steak using this very soon. Yum.
Other preserving this morning was a batch of strawberry jam and 4 quarts capped and frozen for later use.

No comments:

Post a Comment