Sunday, May 24, 2020

After breakfast this morning I headed to the garden. It has been a wet miserable week and I wanted to get in there and see what havoc Mother Nature had wreaked. Surprisingly things looked pretty good. A few green bean seeds had been washed up out of the ground. The strawberries of course were mostly rotten from all the rain. I don't imagine we will be picking many until we get a dry warm stretch of weather. The turnips are up as well as the  okra. I spent an hour or so weeding the potatoes.
Once hubby had finished his shop work, we loaded the Gator with our bee stuff. Today we are putting on the first super. The hives are doing great and have totally filled out 2 brood boxes.
We spent another hour or so tidying up the orchard. There were still some weeds around the base of the trees and bushes.
After lunch I put together some Chorizo baked black beans for a family get together this evening. We are looking forward to spending some time with family. It has been a while since we were all together. Even though we all live next to each other on the compound we have been careful of visiting with mom and dad who are both in their 80's.
I went ahead and did evening chores a bit early because we were off to the next big project. The pool. Sigh. Our pool is 12 years old and for the last 2 or 3 years it has been a pain to deal with. I have visions of turning it into a Tilapia pond or maybe an in ground greenhouse or heck just filling the darn thing with dirt! If it weren't for the kids that may well have already happened. I knew air was getting into the lines somewhere and thought I had it figured out. When I called to have someone out to repair it they told me it would be 3 weeks. Of course in the interim it was turning a more hideous shade of green daily. Doug agreed to humor me and take a look. We found 2 places where it was leaking and drawing air. We put some silicone caulk on it and shut it down for the evening.  We will know for sure tomorrow.
We took a quick shower and were off to have some fun. I love our family get together's. It is quite comical when everyone arrives on various ATV's and golf carts loaded down with food and coolers.
Four generations shared lots of laughter and love and food this Memorial Day weekend.
Life is good... on the homestead. 💖💖



No comments:

Post a Comment