Monday, April 30, 2012

Baking and Baling

I taught a bread baking workshop this morning and this afternoon we baled hay~
The morning started early since our class was a bit larger than usual and I needed to bake a few extra loaves. (Part of the class fee includes taking home a loaf of bread.) I also had the morning milking and feeding chores to do before everyone arrived. Thankfully my mom stepped in, together we tagged teamed and all was done by 10. The last thing on my to-do list was to drop a super on one of the hives before everyone arrived. I took a quick shower and headed to the hives. I did not take time to put on my suit as this is something I do on a regular basis. However, I have never done it with wet hair and the bees were most displeased .They let me know it by stinging me on my eyebrow! Lovely way to start my day..
Class lasted about 2 1/2 hours and was great fun. I met a lovely group of ladies (and children). We baked bread and had a farm tour.
Just as class was ending, the boys rolled in and headed to the hay field. I had enough time to clean the kitchen and put my boots on. My job in the field this year was to drive the tractor that pulled the hay wagon and in the barn I transferred the bales from one elevator to the other. A couple of extra hands arrived late. They left to get the last load and I finished up milking. A whopping 520 bales went in the barn today!

No comments:

Post a Comment