Monday, January 21, 2013

Colder Weather

Today was beautiful. However, colder temps are set to move in tonight and be here for the next week or so. Tomorrow night's forecast says it may drop to 19*. I really don't mind and to be quite honest hope it kills a few of the nasty critters that haven't left here since summer. Number one, the aphids on my kale and number two, the parasites that I know will plague the sheep if the cold does not come and stay a while. So, in preparation for the cold, I harvested lots of greens to hold us til the weather stabilizes and the greens perk back up. I also pulled turnips, carrots, rutabagas and harvested what was left of the broccoli side shoots.
On the critter front hay bins were filled to the max. Hoses were drained, water buckets filled to overflowing  and the chicken nesting boxes were topped of with bedding. A large load of wood was gathered up and we are ready for what mother nature has in store!

No comments:

Post a Comment