Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Sheep and Garden

Today was the day to recheck the sheep and see how they were doing after deworming 10 days ago. I was very pleased with all but one. She seems to be having a hard time and I dosed her again and will continue all of them on the iron for a bit longer. A shaky breath was drawn as I felt like we dodged another bullet.
I spent part of the day tying up tomato plants and planting a few more. I know, I know MORE tomatoes? People keep gifting me with plants. I am starting to feel like the neighborhood "tomato rescue"! The garden is looking nice just not a lot to harvest yet. Close, though.
The "black pearl" cherry tomatoes that my son started from seed are just starting to ripen. The okra is peaking out of the ground. I saw my first baby eggplant and the peppers are really starting to produce. I picked another large handful of blueberries. Enough to toss in some yogurt tomorrow. Garden chores done I headed indoors for a bit.
 I started a big pot of chicken and stock. We are down to whole birds in the freezer and my son wanted boneless breasts the other night, so I cut up the bird leaving the carcass and quarters. I used onions, carrots and parsley from the garden. I tossed garlic scapes in that my aunt sent me and of course some celery (store bought~yuk!) It smells really yummy! I will can or freeze the stock and  use the boiled chicken for a cool chicken salad meal. The temps today were very nice but the heat is headed back our way in the next few days and cooler meals will be in order. 

No comments:

Post a Comment