Sunday, June 12, 2011

And So I Paid Off My Vet Bill...

Yesterday morning I paid off the balance of my vet bill. Today I had to have him  out. Emergency call and all. Ugh.
The morning started routinely enough. We finally got a some rain last night and I was able to do some weeding in the garden. I also needed to cut the remaining cabbage before the sun hit it and the heads split due to the moisture. I dug a few more heads of garlic and Doug planted some more tomatoes. Heading in to put our veggies away I noticed one of the last ewes left to lamb appeared to be in labor. I went to check her and I the situation that greeted me was ugly. Three legs, two heads (one partial and one whole) and two dead lambs. I tried to push one back in and realized this was beyond my scope of capabilities. I called the vet and he came out within the hour.It took quite a bit of manuevering, but he finally got both kids out. My ewe seems to be ok, very tired but alert. We will have to wait and see. She will have to be on antibiotics for a few days. He said it was just a fluke thing. The kids were not too large, just both tried to come at the same time. And so we suffered another loss. Life and death on the farm. It is not ever easy, but is a part of it all. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment