Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Spaghetti Sauce~ Well Almost

I finally was able to get into the sauce- the spaghetti sauce that is. A sink full of tomatoes dictated that I must do so.
I baked, delivered and got early chores finished. Then I was off to the garden to see what needed harvesting. Lots of tomatoes and our first okra were picked. Very  few peppers but at least enough for the sauce.
The sauce is relatively easy to make, just a bit messy. The cooking time, 6-7 hours, is the kicker for me. Being that it was after noon when I got it on to cook, I did 3/4 of the cooking time, let it cool and put it in the fridge to hold until Friday. I will finish out the cooking time then and get it canned.The corn is ever so close to being ready, most likely the middle of next week.
While the sauce was simmering I did a sheep check. Two lambs are having a really hard time and I made the decision to take them to the barn where I could give them a bit more attention. In the barn they can have grain and hay plus graze the backyard with no competition. I will also be able to offer support in the way of daily liquid vitamins.
It was another hot day. We here on the homestead are actually looking forward to winter!

No comments:

Post a Comment