Saturday, March 3, 2012

I Thought It Was A Good Plan...

After keeping the goats up for the last two days because of weather, the barn was a wreck. I lost count of the number of wheelbarrow loads of poop I raked and hauled out. When I finished, I decided each stall would get two or three girls and the babies would have one to themselves. This involved washing and scrubbing water buckets and a hay tub for each one. Each stall also got a mineral pan. So now at least the hall of the barn would be relatively poop free! My next and most dreaded chore was dis-budding the babies. With Mom's help we got eight done. It looks like I may finally have figured it out and won't have a bunch of strange looking horns and heads this year. At least I hope so...
Back to the house to scrub the goat smell off and out to run a couple of quick errands. I stopped to check the plants at the greenhouse and drop some supplies there. I had some copper for my sister to feed the eggplant that were looking a bit anemic and some trays for transplanting. By the time I returned home it was back to the barn for the evening milking and feeding of the babies. As I milked each doe I paired her with one that I felt would be a compatible stall mate. I had already put the mild mannered sheep in with the equally mild mannered Nubian doe. While feeding the babies total chaos erupted. Not one of the pairs was getting along. Hay buckets were flipped, mineral plans tossed and water tubs were full of debris. It sounded like several wrestling matches were taking place all at once. Fearing they may actually hurt each other, they were all let out to once again have to run of the stalls and hall. One wonders why they can all be together in a pasture, or the barn for that matter, but  put in a 12 x12 stall and are intent on trying to kill one another. Oh well, I thought it was a good plan. In my head it was a great plan! I guess tomorrow after I rake poop again I will have to go to "Plan B". Right now there is no "Plan B" but I am sure it will involve some major rearranging of pastures and critters to make everyone, including me, happy. Yes, I really want all the goats to be happy. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment