Monday, January 31, 2011

Lentil, Sausage and Brown Rice Soup

Yesterday was absolutely beautiful and 71*. I made great plans for today on catching up on barn work, thinking it was going to be just as lovely. Not so. It was cloudy and in the low 40's and I thought I might freeze to death! I did deworm two of my older goats that were beginning to look pale. With milk goats due to start kidding mid-February I am keeping a close eye on them. I also had to disbud the first bucks that were born. I took my cow on a walk about and she did really great. To be quite honest I was shocked! You would have thought she had been on a lead line her whole life. She and the calves were moved to another pasture with better shelter before the rains set in. Other things on my list, tagging, tattooing and wethering were shoved to the back burner, I think I'll wait for a warmer day. Instead I loaded up firewood, put on a pot of soup and headed to my studio to fill out pedigrees and registration papers. I would rather have a poke in the eye than do desk work, a necessary evil I guess.
Anyway I thought I would share this yummy soup recipe that I have tweaked over the last few months~

Saute 1 onion, 2-3 chopped carrots, 3-4 cloves of garlic in a bit of olive oil. Add a sausage of your choice and brown. (I use an all natural jalapeno chicken sausage, use what you have!) Add 1 bay leaf, 1 cup washed lentils, 1/2 cup brown rice and chicken stock to cover. At this point I pressure cook it for about 25 minutes, but you can just cook on low or crock pot it. (I have a Living Well pressure cooker, crock pot combo that has become one of my favorite new toys.) Season to taste, salt, pepper, herbs. Once done, I add a bit more stock, lots of spinach and leave on low in my crock pot. Yummy, rib sticking and healthy. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment