Monday, January 10, 2011

Snow

It began sometime around 4 a.m. By 4:30 the ground was covered with a couple of inches. At 9 , we had 4. It has been snowing ever since. I watched the birds feed, they emptied the better part of two feeders today. We counted 38 doves feeding on the ground. I watched a lone coyote wandering the fence line and disappear in the pines. I almost felt sorry for it- but only for a second. It looks like our total will be about 6 inches. I put a large pot of beefy cabbage soup on for lunch and had to go to the garden and rummage under the snow for the cabbage. I located two small heads and though frozen worked just fine in the soup.

The early morning hay feeding revealed no baby goats. Mid day all was still well. I did most of the feeding and let the puppies out to play. They had a wonderful time racing in the snow. The goats were not as happy to have to leave the barn to eat, but decided grain was worth it. In between checking on critters, keeping the fire going and cooking, I worked on a few knitting projects that needed to be finished up. One is a felted beret that was started long ago. The other is a black and red felted hat. Earlier this week I finished a pair of mittens for a sweet little girl, just in time for a fun day in the snow. I also got most of my seed orders completed. My hope is to finish that tomorrow and get them ordered. With the highs this week not getting above freezing until Friday, it looks like I will get lots of unfinished projects completed! I certainly won't be going anywhere.
At last check, still no baby goats but the freezing rain has arrived and already the gates had a glaze. Fingers crossed there will be no damage from the ice and heavy snow coating tree branches. We'll see what tomorrow brings!

No comments:

Post a Comment