Monday, January 17, 2011

More Baby Goats


Yesterday was extremely busy on the animal front. On my morning rounds I noticed the second Nigerian was in labor. I also noticed a cashmere was acting a bit strange but wasn't really sure if it was signs of labor or another problem. I tried to move her to the barn but she was getting stressed and since it had warmed up nicely choose to leave her until I had help. By mid afternoon the Nigerian had produced a set of triplets. The last one born was a bit weak so I milked out colostrum and fed her. I checked every hour or so and tried to make sure she was nursing. She has a huge brother who is quite the pig and I have a feeling she will end being a bottle baby. By late afternoon, I discovered the reason for the cashmere's strange mood. She had produced a set of twins, brand new when I found them. This time she was more than happy to follow me to the barn! One of her kids is the most unusual chocolate color I have ever seen. That brings our total to 8 kids since last Tuesday. We stand at 4 bucks and 4 does.




No comments:

Post a Comment