Tuesday, January 18, 2011

What a Way to Start a Day

I have a good friend who just opened an all female gym. She is a personal trainer as well and this has been a dream of hers for a long time. I worked out with her for many years, but then started working and blah, blah, blah.. just got out of the habit. So, when she called me and invited me to see it, I was inspired. So today was supposed to be my first session with her to get back into training.

The morning started out routinely enough. All the kids were doing well, romping and playing in the barn. Bottles were warmed and fed to the kids and hay to the moms. Dressed for the gym and literally walking out the door, I heard the dogs go crazy and saw one of the yearling cashmere does go flying through the pasture and then the familiar cry of a baby. Great! I was in my flimsy workout pants and running shoes that have never seen the outdoors, because I swore when I bought them a few months back I would not wear them to the barn. Surely if I was careful I could go and check on things without getting tooo dirty. Sometimes I can be really silly.


It seems the dogs went to check on the new arrival and frightened the new mom. I gathered up the soaking wet babe, enticed the mom to the gate and then had to practically drag her to the barn with the lights. I got baby settled under the lights and hurried back to the house. I was now covered in mud and afterbirth and had 10 minutes to make the 20 minute drive to the gym. I changed my shirt, wiped off my shoes best I could and headed to the gym. On the way, I called and let them know I was running late. One look at me when I got there and it was "Let me guess, barn emergency?" Probably the mud spattered workout pants gave me away.


Meanwhile back at the ranch... New baby was dry and warm when I got back and trying to nurse. Unfortunately the new mom had no milk which was the reason I did not suspect she was close to delivering. I keep tubes of colostrum on hand for these emergencies, so a dose later and a bottle of milk and she was doing fine. This brings kid count to 9.

No comments:

Post a Comment