Monday, August 13, 2012

An Empty Nest

This last week was a whirlwind of activity. Luke was due to leave Friday for college. A lot of last minute things to pack up and pick up. We planned to follow him down with his last load. Who knew a kid could have so much stuff? But he did and two more truck loads were hauled down to Wilmington. We left late Friday afternoon after all the chores were done. Mom had the farm for the weekend, she has been a true lifesaver this year and has pulled a heavy load for us.
We spent Saturday and yesterday with Luke helping him set up his little household. He had several "Earth Boxes" that we filled and planted along with some herbs. You can take the kid out of the country but, well you know! Several other small projects were completed and he is quite settled. We headed home this morning at 5 a.m. in order to get back and milk and feed. I promised I wouldn't cry and I didn't... in front of him. I know he will have lots of fun but I already miss him and his crazy little dog, Dallas, who has managed to steal my heart. Even though I chanted, I will not get attached, I will not get attached...
Though really, who could not love that face??

Back home, it all awaited us. The garden fairies had not picked the okra or mowed the grass. And so I must now get busy!!

2 comments:

  1. Awww... This is so tough, Kelly. This is my last year with my teenage son. I have you in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura~ Enjoy your time with your son. Luke is and was my com-padre, a dear and gentle soul. I miss him desperately. He was a huge part of our homestead help. We will surely need to think of our future plans this winter.

      Delete