Saturday, August 28, 2010

Mowing Hay... Again!

It has been an unbelievable summer. The heat and humidity have been brutal but it has also brought thunderstorms and LOTS of rain. Blessings in disguise, I guess, and that means we can mow hay for the third time this year! We actually will have a surplus and will be able to sell some to help cover fuel costs, baling twine, ect.
While the boys were doing the hay thing, I wandered to the garden to see what I needed to catch up on. Egads! The okra, now at least 7 feet tall, was loaded. I pulled on my long sleeve shirt and gloves and went to work. Two hours later I emerged with a five gallon bucket full and had thrown at least two full buckets on the ground. Being that I am a bit vertically challenged, I had to reach way up and pull the plants down to me, to pick. I never knew working the garden could be dangerous but after being boinked in the head repeatedly from huge okra pods, I wondered if I may have a concussion! There were some late green beans to pick and a glut of peppers. I saved those for tomorrow.
We had two cashmere does kid this week amongst all the chaos. I checked on those girls and kids. They want nothing at all to do with me. I have yet to get my hands on this little one to even see what sex it is. The other doe has hidden hers well in the woods and even though I walked and searched was unable to locate it. I know it is out there because she is being nursed! I noticed that they are all in need of hoof trimming so that will go on tomorrows list as well and hopefully I can get my hands on the kids at that time.

No comments:

Post a Comment