Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Life and Death On the Homestead~ Loving And Loosing The Family Cow

Today we lost Jasmine. She was a huge part of our family. For the last 6 years she has nurtured us with gallons of fresh milk, cheese and butter. Supplying us with beef with the calves she raised. We are deeply saddened.
I awoke early yesterday to find an escaped horse. I went to put him up and in the process found Jasmine had escaped as well and was lying on the concrete floor on the side of the barn. The floor was wet and she had obviously slipped. It was frightning to see her laying there with her back legs splayed out to the sides. I hysterically called my husband and other family members to come help. A call to the vet went out as well. With the help of heavy equipment she was moved to the grass. When the vet arrived, he went to work on her with steroids and pain medication. A catheter was put in so after he left I could administer fluids and meds via IV. He worked on her for 3 1/2 hours. After leaving, we gave her fluids and used a hip lift chained on the backhoe to get her on her feet and moving every two hours. She had damaged the nerves in her left hind leg, but we were hopeful that some time and medicine would pull her through. It was not to be. Around 9 p.m. last night she was so exhausted that when we tried to lift her, her front legs would not support her. With tear filled eyes, I looked at my husband. He shook his head and I knew we were not going to win this battle. I sat with her well into the darkness leaning on her neck and taking in her cow smell. I talked to her, rubbed her and loved her. At midnight I gave her some more pain meds to get her through till morning. This morning I found her once again splayed out on the ground and made the fateful call to the vet's office. I fed her breakfast, gave her water and waited. When the vet arrived, I held her big sweet head in my lap and sobbed. She licked my arms and legs with her big rough tongue. Jasmine was not just a cow. I had milked her daily for 15 months this last lactation (and many, many before that) and the bond we had was inexplicable.
At 9:45 this morning Jasmine walked across the rainbow bridge to be with all of the other faithful animals that have left our homestead. She was buried on the hill above the pond where I can see her final resting place from my kitchen window. Goodbye, my love.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so very sorry Kelly...and very sad! With tear filled eyes (and,well, running down my cheeks) I share your sorrow and loss for that sweet animal and friend! You told your story so beautifully...I can see you there in the barn with her head in your lap! Love to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is just so sad. Jasmine was a wonderful friend and companion.

    ReplyDelete