Friday, March 26, 2010

Meat Birds

Today the first of our meat birds arrived. The rest will get here on Monday. The post office normally calls around 6 a.m. to let me know they have arrived but today didn't call until about 10. I was starting to get a bit worried and was in the process of leaving a message with the hatchery when they called. I hurriedly made the bread delivery and headed to pick them up. They had to wait in the truck for a bit since I had still not completely finished getting the brooder set up, but are now happily enjoying food and water.
We are raising two different breeds this year. The ones that arrived today are called "Freedom Rangers". These are supposed to range more for their feed as opposed to the Cornish rock crosses who are content to pretty much lay at the food dish. The flavor of the Rangers is said to be much tastier as well. Of course a side by side taste test will have to be done! We will be processing 65 this year and for the first time will be feeding a solely organic diet to the birds. This is something we are pretty excited about. If all goes well we hope to have a few extra to sell.

2 comments:

  1. I've looked into the Freedom Rangers too. I'll be anxious to see how they compare to the Cornish Rock Crosses. We have 3 batches of 25 coming this year of the Cornish Crosses. I enjoy your blog. I have layers, Nigerian Dwarf does, piglets ordered, broilers ordered, and a large vegetable garden and root cellar. Anita sweetgardenfarm.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anita,
    I will keep everyone posted on how the chicks do. We are probably going to add a few pigs later, it has been years since we raised them, but I do miss that pork!

    ReplyDelete