Thursday, March 11, 2010

And Then There Are Those Days...

Yesterday was the beginning of our "goat milking" season. I had to get up at 5:30 a.m. to start baking so I could get the milking done before I headed off to work. Baking done, I headed to the barn to get morning chores done before going to work. All was well and I left around 9:30. I got home at 5:30 p.m. and began evening rounds. As I was feeding I saw a young doe (that was not supposed to be bred) had kidded within the last hour or two. The tiny kid looked to be a preemie; tho cleaned and warm I instantly knew this was probably a lost cause. I fed her some pre-mixed colostrum and warm milk. I went on to finish other chores. I checked her every 10 minutes or so, offering a bottle, but no significant improvement.
This morning I checked the critters only to find I had lost the little kid from last night. I baked for the store and delivered before coming back to milk and feed the kids. It was a hectic morning because I was trying to get to my mom's house to check on her. She broke her ankle last week and my sister and I are taking turns with checking on her.
Bread delivered and kids fed I headed off to check on Mom. All was well and after a couple of hours I started back home. I had to stop off to pick up dog food and paper towels.
This afternoon's feeding revealed a homesteader's nightmare.
The little doe that lost her kid was extremely depressed and refused to eat. I repeatedly led her to food and she picked a bit. While feeding one of the bottle kids, she let out a scream and ran off, refusing to finish. Apparently that was a gas bubble and by last check she was her old self and feeling fine. The most distressing was finding a ewe, that yesterday was eating and fine, down and deathly ill. I checked eye lids and she was a bit pale, however not so that I would think parasites would be the sole cause. I de-wormed her nonetheless, and gave her some supportive vitamin drenches. I checked her temperature and it was normal, but I noticed a slight bloody tinge on the thermometer and later noticed she passed a bloody poop. I then started her on antibiotics. Her breathing is labored and I wonder if something has gone wrong with the pregnancy. I am really not sure what we are dealing with and am worried I may loose her. Unfortunately we have no good sheep vets around here and I have had to learn to do most things on my own. I will continue to monitor her.
These are the days I question my sanity. I could be in Key West laying on the beach in the sun drinking a margarita. Maybe I will make a margarita as I wander back down to the barn....

No comments:

Post a Comment