Saturday, March 27, 2010

Bad Chicken Mommy

Sometime in the wee hours of the morning the power went off. In my subconscious mind I heard the house go quiet. However, I chose to roll over and go back to sleep. I don't really know what time it happened, but I am guessing it was around 1 a.m. At 4 or so, I sat straight up and almost screamed, we have no power and so the new chicks have no light or heat!!! As I stumbled around turning on light switches that didn't work, trying to find some clothes, I finally just threw on my robe and barn boots, and almost flew to the barn. It was dark and quiet outside. The moon was fairly bright but not enough to do much good. I grabbed the box the chicks arrived in and in the cover of darkness fumbled my way to the brooder. The first sign that all was not well was the silence. Normally they are peeping quit loudly. I reached into the brooder and tried to count as I picked up chicks and place them in the box. I felt a lot of chilled and cold birds. Their little feet were so cold! With tears in my eyes I gathered them all and ran back to the house. All the while I was wondering how I could warm them. When I got back to the house my husband was already dressed and had the 4 wheeler cranked. He was headed to get the generator cranked. As I paced back and forth holding the box of chicks, the lights flickered and came on. I decided to put the chicks under the light in one of the ovens with the door cracked to warm them quickly.
Since I was up, I went ahead and put the sourdough in to pans. After that, we went back to bed to try and catch a quick nap for an hour or so. I got up a bit later and checked the chicks. Good grief!! Now they were so warm they were panting! Poor little things. Once again I returned them to their brooder and made sure they all got something to drink.
I put the bread in to bake (don't worry it was not the "chicken oven") and started other chores. When the bread came out of the oven and I went to take it out of the pans, it refused to budge. How old to you have to be before you stop doing stupid stuff?? I forgot to grease the pans. After totally destroying one loaf, I walked away disgusted. What in the world was I going to do with all that bread. Chicken food I suppose. However, later I went back and after the moisture had softened the bottoms I managed to get them out with not much harm. I then put them on racks in the warm ovens, the bottoms dried out and all was well.
I got bread delivered and was able to get on with my day, the last before the big anniversary party. Fingers crossed it ends better than it started!

No comments:

Post a Comment