Monday, March 15, 2010

The List is Long

Spring has sprung and the time has changed. My list today was long. I came nowhere near to finishing it.
Up early to do inside things, like laundry and dishes. Yuck and double yuck.
I have been boarding a friends draft horse, quarter horse, 3 donkeys and 3 goats for several months and they left this morning to head out to West Virginia. We got them all loaded and off around 10:30. I did routine chores and started weeding my herb beds. It looks like almost all my culinary herbs were lost except for the chives. I will end up replacing a lot this year. The climbing yellow snow peas that I planted a couple of weeks ago are peaking out of the ground. Most of the medicinal herbs like the comfrey, lemon balm and valerian look to be okay.
I had to make a feed run and while there picked up some lettuce plants. Normally I just so seeds but I needed some instant gratification today!! I got those in the ground when I got home. I checked into growing millet while at the feed store. We had planned to resow the back field last fall but that didn't happen, so we are going to plant millet to bale for an extra hay crop for the goats. That doesn't go in until about May 1st, thank goodness.
Several beds weeded, I headed down to milk and finish the evening chores. When feeding the chickens I noticed a critter laying in the pasture on the outside of the pen. Upon closer inspection I found it was a dead possum. Looks like the LGD's did their job and he didn't make it back to the chicken coop for seconds.
As dusk fell I was on the porch giving the furniture a spring scrubbing.. I will never forget one of my friends saying that it was such a lovely place and that I must spend all my time out there relaxing. Someday I will, that's why I keep it clean.. :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment