Saturday, March 6, 2010

A Beautiful Day

It was a beautiful day today. Our temps are still not average but at 56 it felt like a heat wave compared to the past few weeks! We picked up all of the winter debris that has come down in the last few months and munched up the leaves in the yard. Those went in the garden to be turned over at some point (we hope!!) in the near future. We also got the pastures fertilized. I cleaned out the stall the puppies are in and tidied up the barn a bit.

It has been a very busy week with 5 more kids arriving. The most exciting was the birth of triplets belonging to one of the nigerian dwarf does. Teeny, tiny little things, all doing great. The last of the saanens kidded so now we are just waiting for the alpines and a cross or two to finish up the season. Hopefully that will be soon so we can take a breath before the sheep start lambing. We had some prospective goat buyers out took a little tour around the barn.

I am doctoring one of my highest producing does that has a touch of mastitis. I am using an antibiotic but also using a homeopathic salve that I massage on to her udder after each milking. This means I get to bottle feed her kids while she is recuperating!

We still haven't caught the critter that got in the hen house but Chance is doing his job so no more losses, thank goodness.

It was a long day but lots accomplished and that the way I like it ;o)~~

1 comment:

  1. O Kelly, they are beautiful! I can hardly wait! I am so looking forward to everything. Now you will get to teach me! I just can't wait to help! luv ya, Shelly

    ReplyDelete