Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Happy New Year 2019!

Happy New Year from the homestead! I hope you have a year of love, happiness and of course productivity! :-)

We have a lot of plans in the works for the farm. Hubby already has plans to do some barn remodeling to better accommodate the livestock we have now since all but one horse is gone. I plan to add 6 more herb beds, medicinal and culinary. We are scaling back on the Kune Kune pigs and plan to add a couple of Large Black Hogs. I am also downsizing the Icelandic flock and adding a couple of Suffolk ewes. In doing this I hope to have some lambs that grow out a little quicker (and cheaper) for the freezer. The new orchard did not happen last year so that is also on the to do list.

Fingers crossed it looks like we may have not 1 but 2 farm interns. I am doing a happy dance thinking about all that we can get done. Many hands make light work!

Today, however was not a day to dream. Chores called and the biggest one was cutting up yet another deer. Number 7 went into the freezer. Though it sounds like a lot, we split them 3 ways between the family members who hunt and cut!

I think though the most exciting news of all is.....wait for it......DAIRY COWS are coming back! I have purchased 2 dairy cows. One is in milk now and one is due to calve in September. I hope to pick them up in the next week. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment