Monday, January 30, 2017

Ordering Seeds

I finally finalized my seed order today! I have been working on it for 2 weeks. I am really excited about our gardens this year. I will have some help with a farm intern and since I will be retired in a few weeks I will have the time to once again properly tend it.
Johnny's Seeds got most of my money this year. They are an employee owned company and sell only non gmo seeds. They also have a huge selection of organics. My mammoth order should ship out today. Several varieties of corn, green beans, beets, lettuces and specialty greens should arrive later this week. I also ordered some really cool tomatoes and cucumbers. I am doing a happy dance!
Not to be left out my other favorite seed company, Territorial, got a small order. Red celery, baby ginger and campari tomatoes from them.
My plan is to provide fresh organic produce, plants and eggs here at the farm and to the little store from where I am retiring.
I will have to patiently wait until March or so until I can work the outside gardens. So, for now I will content myself to hanging with sis in the greenhouse where she lovingly tends all the seedlings that have to be set out as plants. I think I shall wander that way now.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the seed recommendations. My husband and I got a 10 acre plot last March, and we're planning our first large-scale garden this year. I've been following your blog for the past... oh, 5-6 years, and love the little farm perspective you give!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Congratulations! I am super excited to get back to full time homesteading myself. Keep me posted!

    ReplyDelete