Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Spring Shearing 2013

The sheep finally got haircuts today! Way overdue, but thankfully the spring has been kind to them by staying cool.
Normally our shearers come as a team but today Jessica sheared alone. We had the sheep corralled in the barn and one by one brought them to her. 2 1/2 hours later, 15 ewes and 1 ram she was done. Good job, Jess!
I trimmed feet as she finished each one and checked eyes for signs of parasites. I only had to worm 4 that were just border line. A huge chore scratched off the list today!

2 comments:

  1. Jessica sheared a few for me this year. She's great! What are you doing with your fleeces?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most went on the hill side for erosion control. They were a bit short and so full of veggie matter I didn't do much with them. The fall fleeces are always so gorgeous I don't mind tossing these!

    ReplyDelete