Monday, June 12, 2023

Cabbage Harvest

 Today Sis and I harvested the cabbage crop. We have been enjoying some here and there but it is all ready and we were afraid with the heat this coming week we would loose a lot of it. 43 heads later....

We had a combination of Early Jersey Wakefield and Napa cabbage all bagged up and stuffed into every available fridge on the homestead! We will enjoy as much as we can fresh and figure out ways to preserve the rest. I have a pickled slaw recipe that keeps for quite a while in the fridge. I plan to try my hand at Kimchi and of course we will make some sauerkraut. 

My experiment for today was dehydrating some Napa cabbage since I don't think it will keep as long. It is supposed to do very well when added to soups and every in a stir fry. 

I chopped 3 heads and loaded my dehydrator. 
After drying I had 3 quarts. I am going to try some in the next few days to see if we like it. 
I have to say it looks really pretty! If we like it, I will do a few more heads to use over the course of the summer and late winter since we usually have a pretty good Fall crop.
Always trying and learning something new.. on the homestead!


No comments:

Post a Comment