Friday, July 15, 2011

The Chicken Roundup

I baked a double round this morning (20 loaves) in order to get an extra early start tomorrow butchering chickens.The rest of the day I spent  pickling beets, the last from the spring crop. Another 16 pints put in the pantry.The few that are left in the ground will be eaten fresh and shared with family members.
When my husband got in from work, we headed down to round up the chickens. I have to say this was one of our more intelligent moves in recent history! I had only watered the chickens this morning so they were hungry. We backed the horse trailer up to the orchard and made a ramp with plywood. I sprinkled feed up the ramp and in the trailer. They marched up and in! Of course there were a few of the white rocks that I had to track down, but for the most part it was really easy. While I finished feeding,  Doug set up the plucker and scalding pans. We are set and ready to go at daylight!

No comments:

Post a Comment