Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Beets, Broth and MORE Pickles

The beets are ready to be pulled. I need room in my freezer. The huge bag of cucumbers I shoved in the fridge threaten to fall on my toes every time I open the door. Where to start.
I pulled several packs of beef bones from the freezer and put them in the oven to roast on low while I baked and milked this morning. All morning my kitchen smelled heavenly. After I strained the milk, I pulled the bones from the oven and tossed them into a large stockpot with celery, onions, garlic and salt & pepper. On the back burner, I let them simmer most of the day.
My husband called and said he would be in for lunch. This put a slight crimp in my plans because it would now be noonish before I finished chores and headed to the garden. Being that the heat index was going to be well over 100* I was not looking forward to being out at that time of day. However, it was not so bad. I have learned that you just move a little slower ;o)!
Chores done~ which in this heat, means making sure all water buckets stay full and clean, along with feeding took about an hour. I headed to the beet patch. I pulled 2 peck baskets full and made the decision that since these are not my favorite vegetable, that would be plenty when I added them to the ones already canned. The boys love them, and I love the boys. Most of the time.
Back in the house, I topped and washed the beets. It was now 1:45. The beets were shoved in the place where the cucumbers once lived and I commenced to making pickles. (Beets on Friday!) 10 jars today and a variety of shapes including "sandwich slices" and whole. Lastly, I strained the broth and canned it. I would have had 4 quarts but it was so incredibly delicious that I drank two large cupfuls before canning. The broth was so rich, dark and full of flavor. Definitely a lovely addition to the pantry. 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment