Saturday, July 16, 2011

Butchering Day

When I opened my eyes this morning I was already tired. Seems I spent the night picking blackberries! Geezz.
We had slight reprieve because it was raining. So I dozed an extra hour. It was time to get started. One could not have asked for a more perfect day. Overcast, cool and slightly misty, it was a true blessing.
During the night a couple of the white rocks had escaped. Oops, forgot they can fly. They were way out in the pasture so they will be dealt with on another day. Last week my husband hurt his back so we also opted to not butcher the white rock hens and so as I caught them I clipped wings and put them in with the laying hens.That still left 50 birds. We left 35 or so whole and the rest we cut up. Unlike in years past I decided to keep the carcasses to make stock. Waste not, want not. It took about four hours to butcher. After we were finished and the birds in coolers covered with ice, I headed to milk and the boys cleaned up. Today's milk went to the critters. Since I was not keeping the milk it was a good opportunity to trim hooves and give the girls a once over. Last on the list was to check the garden. Finally tomatoes (and lots of them!) with no wholes in them. Yeah!

No comments:

Post a Comment