Monday, March 11, 2019

Picking Up The Pork

The pork is ready. Mom and I hopped in the truck and headed up to the processors mid morning. I payed for it and we loaded 11 large boxes and headed back home. Sis was waiting for us when we got back to help sort and count packages. We had 50 pounds of bratwurst, 50 pounds of sweet Italian and right at 200 lbs of breakfast sausage. There was also 3 large boxes of bones and 2 boxes of whole pork belly. Dad wanted the pork belly to try making some smoked bacon. The bones were for stock. I palmed slapped my forehead when I realized I forgot to ask for my leaf lard fat. Grrr...
We divided the number of packages not including the bones or belly and came out with about 3$ per pack for processing. That's all we cared to get back just enough to cover that cost. Sis and I kept 20 pounds each each of breakfast sausage and Mom only relieved us of 15 more miscellaneous packs. That left and awful lot of pork to place!
Sis turned out to be a great pork pusher and almost all has been sold. Bones are simmering away in the roaster making a lovely stock to can in a few days. All of the freezers have heaved a huge sigh of relief! ;-))



No comments:

Post a Comment