Tuesday, March 5, 2019

More Canning and Collards

Tuesdays are dog training days. Lately I have been working 2 dogs for an hour each and then Saber is doing a nose work class. Since my trainer is an hour away this takes the better part of the day. It's all fun but there is still life on the homestead!
Today's chores were to can the soup from yesterday and to harvest collards from sis's lower garden. If by some chance we ever catch a break in the rain she needs to get her soil turned and ready for the spring. At this point we are beginning to wonder! We were able to turn ours a couple of weeks ago but that is about it. Mother nature has been soaking us with copious amounts of rain each week.

After getting the soup canned, I finished my chores. I headed next door to sis's. She, mom and I pulled collards. And pulled collards and pulled.... soon enough the back end of my truck was laden with LOTS of beautiful greens. We also picked a bunch of broccoli and since tonight's temp is going to dip into the low 20's we had to haul all of the tender plants from the greenhouse to her basement.
There is not near enough fridge space for all the greens so I parked my truck in the unheated car garage for the night. Guess what I'll be doing tomorrow?

No comments:

Post a Comment