Saturday, February 16, 2019

Off To A Rocky Start

I left early this morning in the cold pouring down rain for a bite work session with 2 of my dogs. Half way there hubby called and said he found baby goats in the back of the barn when he went to feed hay to the cows. I asked him to move them to a stall and told him I would have Mom check on them in a bit. I called her and she said she would be glad to. We broke for lunch around 1:30 and I checked in with hubby. He said Mom thought the goat had not let the babies nurse and she had been here most of the afternoon. I hung up and called her. She was beside herself. Mama goat refused to nurse the babies, they were cold, she couldn't get them warmed up. They were gonna die. I told here I was leaving and would be there in an hour just take them in and put them on a heating pad.

An hour later I arrived home and she was running a blow dryer on them. I grabbed a jar and went to the barn to milk out their mom. She was pretty nasty but we came to a meeting of the minds and I was able to get a pint of colostrum. Both babies were too weak to nurse so we syringed milk into them. After that I put them in a box on a heating pad by a roaring fire in the fireplace. Every few minutes I syringed a bit more colostrum in them and by 6:30 we had 2 warmed goats that were able to take milk some from a bottle.
Still pretty critical but a good sign.

No comments:

Post a Comment