Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Planting Less Common Berry Bushes

A busy few days on the homestead planting more edible landscaping. This year I have added 2 more Sand Cherry bushes. They reach about 7 feet tall and produce small tart cherries suitable for pies and jams. I have 4 now and hope to have a nice hedgerow in a few years.The 2 from last year are blooming!
I also added 3 more Elderberry bushes to make a total of 4 of them as well. Elderberries are highly medicinal and some studies show they pack more antioxidant power than blueberries.
Another interesting berry is the Service berry which is similar to a blueberry but can tolerate a bit more shade. I tucked 2 of them on the shady side of the orchard.
I am looking forward to trying all these cool new( to me) food sources.




No comments:

Post a Comment