Saturday, January 10, 2015

A Wintry Week

January has arrived here on the homestead with a vengeance. Bone chilling temperatures and howling winds have made for a miserable week. Most days outside chores are taking twice the time to do and I closely resemble a popsicle when done. Extra hay must be fed.
Frozen water buckets broken and some days water has been hauled to the critters when faucets are frozen. No winter is not my favorite time of year to be outside!
However, inside a fire blazes and makes it all worthwhile when I finally get back indoors and thaw a bit. This week I have enjoyed my annual January tradition of pouring over seed catalogs and dreaming of Spring. A large number of seeds have already been ordered since (believe it or not!) it is time to start eggplant among other things. Being cooped up has it's disadvantages though.... I have also ordered 100 strawberry plants. Visions of berries danced in my head, I suppose. They are due to arrive the first of March. We'll pot them up and keep them in the greenhouse until time to plant. Surely the greenhouse will be about to burst by then!
Lots of knitting projects have been started. A beautiful quilt of knitted squares and a shawl are in the works.
I have also been "arm knitting" scarves.
They are quite lovely and really fun to make.
Yes, winter time makes for slower, lazier days. We should enjoy it while we can.

No comments:

Post a Comment