Sunday, January 5, 2014

Another 3/4 inch of rain fell today. It was cold and nasty. We found a window of clear skies around noon when we could get the outside chores done. We got the animals tended and I was able to pick a large basket of spinach and kale.
I spent most of the day in the kitchen. On my list of things I want to accomplish this year....not a resolution, mind you 'cause I don't do those, is organization. For the last couple of weeks I have been organizing the freezers. I am almost done and have inventory sheets to prove it! Today was about organizing the fridge and pantry. Veggies were cut up and put into individual containers to grab for snacks and lunches and little "dip it" containers were measured and filled. A weeks worth of greens were washed and are now ready for quick salads and green smoothies.
I put a basket on one of the shelves that holds jelly, pickles,salsa, ground flax seed and peanut butter to make for easy finding of all the jarred items that are used almost every day.
Another cool idea I saw recently was to attach small holders on the side of your fridge walls to hold little bags of things that would get pushed to the back never to be seen again. Here are some lemon slices, easily found!
I also made a large batch of granola for breakfast this week and started a pantry inventory sheet. Thus far I have the dried beans and grains listed.
I put two "Command Strips" on the inside of the pantry door and hung clipboards with the inventory sheets so I will be able lay my hands on them. Now, if i can just train the boys to mark off what they take out or use we will stay organized!

No comments:

Post a Comment