Saturday, February 12, 2011

The Milking Schedule & Weekend Chores

Yeah! Finally the tests are back and I can begin milking the cow. Now I just have to figure out the new routine. I will be sharing the bulk of our milk with the calves for the next couple of months so I will probably just sneak a bit in the evenings for now. That will mean I will have to separate the calves in the mornings for an evening milking though. But today I am milking in this morning! Can't wait to start making cheese again.

Our first set of dairy kids were born yesterday. They are a Nubian cross that belong to my Mom. Wouldn't you know that they are both bucks!!! That puts our count at 15 kids- 10 bucks and 5 does. Argh! She is a very heavy milker so she will be put in the milking line up very soon.

This is going to be a lovely warm weekend and so last night we made our "to do" list. Of course, most likely it won't all get done. One could only hope...

The list reads: set corner posts for new pasture, grade for new road to the pond (the old one washed away), fertilize the grapes, garlic and asparagus with rabbit manure, weed and mulch them, plant azaleas, bulbs and iris by the driveway gate, clean out the feed room and haul off bags, prune fruit trees.
AND as usual only about 1/4 of the list was completed.

No comments:

Post a Comment