Friday, February 18, 2011

Getting the Garden Ready

It is almost time to get some Spring crops in the ground. Today we plowed the garden. With the warm weather we have had the last few days I am itching to play in the dirt. I will go slow though, knowing one of the biggest snow storms we ever had was in late March. We will plant snow peas, radishes, lettuce and carrots this weekend.

I also spent the better part of the afternoon checking over the dairy goats that have kidded thus far. We have some really heavy milkers. I milked a few out, trimmed feet and caught an early case of mastitis. We are deciding the course of treatment. If she will drink the milk I will feed it back to her and use lavender and tea tree oils for a day or two to see what happens. If not I will be forced to use antibiotics. I don't want to take a chance on udder damage. We had another set of twins born today. My mom went to check on them and all I heard was "For Pete's' sake!!" I yelled, "Check again!" Some things just don't change. Yep, you guessed it, 2 more boys... I had to laugh. New count 18 bucks, 10 does.

And finally, I was able to get to the bee keeper and put a deposit on our nucs. They will be ready to install on April 16. I am looking forward to having bees again!

No comments:

Post a Comment