Sunday, February 20, 2011

A Busy Weekend

Our fencing project is almost done. It looks really good, if I do say so myself. We plan to finish up in the evenings this week. The boys put skids under an old tool shed and relocated it to the pasture. Our plans are to cut the bottom out, build a lean-to off of one side and cover with colored tin. Ta-da! instant barn...
We got the garden planted. I planted radishes, carrots, snow peas and parsnips. The greens are recovering quite nicely so I decided to hold off on lettuces and other greens for a couple of weeks. The boys got our hay fields fertilized and I pulled the sheep off to be dry lotted until we mow in May.
We had two does kid yesterday- another set of bucks and FINALLY a set of does. (Count now-20 bucks, 12 does)They are beautiful purebred alpines. The next go round should start on March 8. I am still trying to get a consistent milking schedule started, but for some reason it just ain't happening. Imagine that! I ended up putting the doe on antibiotics that has mastitis so that meant her kids had to be pulled off and bottle fed. I have been milking her out twice daily and discarding the milk. Just another thing added to the to-do list ;o) but the kids took to the bottle right away and are doing great.

As always the weekend was way too short but when lots of chores are accomplished and progress is seen, it makes for a contented Sunday evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment