Saturday, June 26, 2010

Potatoes and Garlic and Corn, Oh My!


Early this morning, while I was still baking, my husband headed out to start digging potatoes. He dug the "weird" ones as he calls them. Purple, through and through, a pink skin and flesh, a pink blushed Yukon and a baking potato were harvested today. The fingerlings and Kennebec are not quite ready. From the 15 pounds of seed potatoes planted, these varieties produced almost 3 bushels! After delivering bread I headed down to help. I dug the garlic that was planted last fall. From the 1 1/2 pounds planted, I harvested 10 pounds of beautiful garlic heads. I also planted shallots last fall, but these were not quite ready either. I was also able to pick quite a few tomatoes and squash.
And then there was the corn! I love fresh corn. My husband asked if it was ready and I told him the ear I ate standing in the garden was fabulous! The bulk of it will be ready about Wednesday, but we will surely be eating corn every night for as long as we can. This year for the first time we planted popcorn. It is beginning to tassel. We also have a late crop of corn in that is about 6 inches tall. In past years we have not had a lot of luck but continue to try!

No comments:

Post a Comment