Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Famous Sheep?


Several weeks ago I was approached by a young man that told me they were filming a movie based on a book written by a local doctor. The book is called Witness and written by Dr. Eric Troyer. I had heard of the book, but not read it and so I invited him to the farm. Apparently the main character is in the witness protection program and is hiding out on a sheep farm. The movie, called WitnessInsecurity is being filmed in and around our area. He told me if I agreed to do it they would make several visits and I would be invaded on shooting day. He was true to his word. The first visit came as we were putting up hay. The director, prop people and others showed up to look over the property. Nasty, sticky and sweaty I showed them around. Another evening as I arrived home from work they called needing to bring yet another group by. And so it was, we were chosen.
Today as I took care of the morning chores the trucks started to arrive. A very nice gentleman asked if I was ready for this, I said sure, but as the drive started filling up with trucks and vans and trailers and cars and campers and golf carts... and the road was lined down both sides, I questioned my sanity and thought I probably should have warned the neighbors. Oooops!!

They shot four scenes here. One was on the dock by our pond. At the end of this scene the main character sat down in a chair and was to cast a fishing line out into the pond. He kept getting the line tangled around his chair. My sister and I were watching from my kitchen window and each time would collapse in gales of laughter. Apparently he wasn't from around here...

The next scene was shot in our barn. They created a rain storm by pumping water from the pond and through a series of hoses and sprinklers overhead, it looked like rain! The bad guy snuck in the barn as the main character filled hay troughs. Finally the sheep got to make their appearance! "Johnny" herded them up the hill and fed our bottle baby. Lastly there was to be target practice with cans and bottles exploding. Of course the sheep were very interested in that and finally the prop directer yelled, "Kelly! can we loose the sheep!" Too funny and so Hollywood. It was a long day and the crew was more than kind, several were from L.A. as well as a lot of locals, but to be quite honest I was ready for them all to go home so I could finish my chores!

Here is the kicker... I am not a movie person, (Don't laugh!! I have been to a theater only twice in the last 25 years) and I probably should have been more impressed than I was. (I mean, no offense but if I am going to spend two hours doing something unconstructive it will be sleeping ;o))! After they left I sat down and studied the scrip I was handed earlier. I thought low budget meant no name actors. Seems Eddie Furlong was Johnny, Brian Krause was the bad guy, Ed Asner and Meatloaf are to be in town later this week. Hey I know who Ed Asner is!! Only because I am old... and Meatloaf!! I have that cassette around here somewhere. Here I go collapsing in gales of laughter again...


No comments:

Post a Comment