Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Eating From The Homestead

Early this morning as I wandered down to fill water buckets on yet another 90 something degree day, I paused at the garden to see what might be for supper. I picked a few eggplant, some squash and tomatoes. I noticed the potatoes and garlic are ready to be dug. (We harvested onions last week.)
I filled buckets with cool water and gathered eggs. I checked to see how the critters were fairing in this brutal heat. Surprisingly they are holding their own.
Back at the house I started to put away the eggs only to be greeted by several gallons of milk that needed a purpose in life. I skimmed the cream and made butter and used the rest to make mozzarella. A supper plan was starting to form...
Maple Lane Homestead Eggplant Casserole was born!
I thawed some ground lamb and ground beef from the freezer. I browned it along with some onions and garlic from the garden. I then added some lamb seasoning and Italian seasoning and let simmer a bit. ( love those Penzeys spices!) Next I added a pint of marinara sauce that I had canned last year and continued to let simmer a bit more. I then peeled and sliced the eggplant long ways in thick slices and dipped in the freshly beaten eggs. I browned them in a bit of butter until tender. I layered the eggplant, meat sauce and cheese 2 times to make a thick casserole and topped with fresh basil from the herb bed. Yum!
Since it was early in the day I covered it in the fridge to be cooked later and went about my chores. I fed the whey to the chickens along with the eggplant peelings. The last few days have found me handpicking Japanese beetles from the grape vines and tossing them in the milk (or whey) for the chickens to eat, and today I did the same. They love to eat the beetles and since they are determined to eat all of the blueberries and tomatoes, they are confined to the front pasture or the "penitentiary" until further notice!!
I hope you try and like our creation!

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it wonderful, all of the fresh produce and meat available this time of year? Of course, preparing dinner takes some extra time, but oh, is it delish.
    Our muscovy ducks and turkeys love those nasty japanese beetles. What a plague!

    ReplyDelete