Sunday, February 7, 2010

Let The Games Begin

No, I don't mean the Olympics or even the Super Bowl. This week two darling little goats arrived two weeks ahead of schedule. Or at least ahead of my schedule! The Nigerian that I was so worried about blessed us with a doe and a buck with no complications other than she has NO milk. grrr.. So now the little darlings are being bottle fed. I have left them with their mom in hopes that she will come into milk at some point. I had a goat do this last year and about 2 weeks after giving birth her milk came in and she went on to produce very well all season. This Nigerian twinned last year and nursed her kids with no problem at all. Who knows? I just hope this is not an omen of how the kidding season is going to go.

Jasmine, the cow, is being kind enough to share her milk with the babies so I do not have to buy replacer. Even better, I milk straight into their bottles at night so I don't even have to heat it up.

I checked all of the other does today. The older dairy does' udders are starting to fill so it looks like we will soon be running amok with lots of kids. Unfortunately the weather is not cooperating and it looks like it will stay cold and wet for quite a while. This means more stalls need to be prepared and more lights need to be hung for warmth. The LGD puppies are due in 2 weeks, so I need to get a spot ready for her as well. I know what I will be doing tomorrow!!

No comments:

Post a Comment