Saturday, July 4, 2009

Early Morning Musing

I wandered down to the barn at 6:00 am this morning to do a bit of feeding before the goats headed out on their morning walk about. Everyday at the same time they head to the upper pasture to collect leaves that have fallen over the course of the night. They are such creatures of habit! The mist on the pond was beautiful. A blue heron lifted off as I stood at the gate. The peace and serenity was almost overwhelming and I really hated to head back to the house. Head back I must though, since I still had more bread to bake and eggs to wash to get to the country store before opening.

Today may be a holiday but it kicks off the fall gardening season for us. I will be starting seeds today for the fall and winter crops. Brocolli, cauliflower, cabbage and kohlrabi will be started in pots to go out in a few weeks. Lettuce, carrots and greens will be sowed directly in the garden later as it starts to cool. Soon it will be time to plant garlic too. I love all the gardening seasons but fall gardens are my favorite!

No comments:

Post a Comment