Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Canning Cube Steak

A little canning experiment today. I canned cube steak from the freezer. Our freezers are full and I am trying to make some room. I am also trying to add some shelf stable quick meals to the pantry shelves. I seared the steak on each side and put on keep warm in the oven. Then I tossed onions and mushrooms in the pan and softened those a bit. I heated up some beef broth and then was ready to pack my jars. Most jars got 3 pieces of steak, a couple got four. I then packed the onions and mushrooms around it and topped off with beef broth. I de-bubbled well and popped the lids on and into the canner it went.
My hope is that when I open a jar I can dredge the meat in flour, give it another sear for a bit of crispness and thicken the broth and veggies for a quick gravy. A side of mashed potatoes and a salad will make a rib sticking winter meal. Finger's crossed. I will update as soon as I open a jar.

5 comments:

  1. Have you opened a jar yet? How did it turn out? What changes would you make?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did your cube steak turn out?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is amazing! I did dredge bin flour and pan fry. The pieces are a bit small but that's ok. I thickened the juices with a flour/butter slurry. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How long did you process it in the canner?

    ReplyDelete
  5. pints are 75 minutes quarts are 90 minutes. The pint and 1/2 jars can for quart times so 90 minutes on them.

    ReplyDelete